Yes, two days in a row

June 24th, 2008

Ella had her 15-month appointment today. She turned 15 months old just last week.

I sorta look forward to these milestone appointments because A. I get to find out how she compares to the average kid as far as weight, height, head size go and B. I get good advice from my doctor and learn a little about what’s to come.

I have also had some trying times at the doctor’s office though. Seeing your baby scream and look at you like a traitor while holding her down letting a stranger inject her with a needle is no day at the park. Also no day at the park: Waiting for 45 minutes with your toddler in a tiny doctor’s office with counters that have sharp edges and a dangerous rolling stool. And that’s after the 45-minute wait in the main waiting room.

After only waiting 5 minutes in the main waiting room today our name was called. Hallelujah. I almost commented on the quick response time but then realized I would totally jinx myself and could be spending the rest of the day in the tiny office.

Another 5 minutes later though and the nurse practitioner was there to see us. Yes! Since I had to reschedule my appointment I didn’t get to see our regular doctor, but the nurse practitioner was very friendly. And Ella was cute as can be running around the room and playing with a basket of dinosaurs they had in this particular room. Also lovely – this room was set up differently than any other office I had waited in. No sharp corners. Rolly stool out of view. And more playroom. It was awesome.

So they did the usual testing: Ella’s at 50 percent for weight and 75 percent for height. This means she’s average for weight, but actually taller than average. In the top 25 percent. Crazy. Her dad and I are not really above average in the height department. We’re not really short, but nobody ever has referred to us as being tall.

Anyway. Ella didn’t like it when she stuck the cold stethoscope on her or felt around her abdomen. And she especially didn’t like her vaccination shot. But she got over it quickly. And she has NO ear infections, her chest cold is completely gone and the doctor seemed really pleased with her diet. Yay!!

Afterward we went home and waited to hear from Steve’s cousins. They were on their way home from a trip and were going to stop for a visit. They called and the idea was presented that we could instead meet them at Cracker Barrel off the highway, saving them some time.

We had a really nice time seeing them. They had their three young children with them and a young cousin. Misty and I talked a lot about camping. They also have a pop-up camper and had just spent 3 days camping with a lot of their relatives. I asked her a lot of questions as I have only been camping once in ours. It made me really excited to use it too. And it sounds like her kids love it. We’re making plans to meet and camp with them later in the summer.

Now Ella is taking a nice long nap, since the doctor visit interrupted her morning one. She’s been taking really long naps lately too. Maybe it’s from all that growing …

Comments are closed.

    About Us

    Me. Blogger. Formerly lived carefree life of eating out, staying out late, traveling and whatever else I wanted. Now mostly chase around two kids, cook, clean and work as graphic artist.

    Wonderful web guru husband who prepared this site for me. He's even trying to help to do dishes more around the house. Good man. I met him at a party in college in 1998 and he still hasn’t gone home.

    Unbelievably cute daughter who's been running the show at our house since March of 2007.

    Our newest, precious girl who just joined us in December of 2009.