Hello Eva Amelia

December 31st, 2009

It’s been a roller coaster the past 10 days since Eva entered the world. But more on that later. First, I’ll tell my loyal and eager six readers how it all went down. Also, I better tell the story for my baby book before I forget it! Warning: There may be a little bit of graphic content. I just had a baby so I have little modesty right now.

Last Tuesday, Dec. 22 I woke up around 8 and went to the bathroom and knew right away labor wasn’t far away. I had some “bloody show.” I hate the sound of that phrase. It just means blood and it indicates labor will be soon, in the next 24 hours possibly.

Ella soon woke up and felt very feverish. She also said her bottom hurt. She had said this for a couple days and I hoped her diareah or whatever was causing it would clear up on its on. But now she had a fever so I worried she had some type of infection. In the midst of this, contractions started. I’ve had so many lately that at first I wasn’t concerned. But they did feel different. They were all in my back, instead of my abdomen.

I made Ella the appointment anyway. They could get her in at 9 a.m. I told Steve he better take her. The contractions were getting uncomfortable. He worried about leaving me home alone – at first I thought it would be fine – if he did need to come back and get me it’s just a 10 minute drive.

But as I helped them get ready the contractions really started hurting. This is the true sign they’re real. And they were only 4-5 minutes apart! My doctors tell second time mothers to get to the hospital when they are 10 minutes because labor can happen really quickly that second time around. So I started to panic. I called Sara and my mom and let them know they need to meet us at the hospital to get Ella. I may have burst into tears when I told my mom. I was excited, nervous, scared and so ready to get this baby out!

When we arrived and got put in a triage room they checked me and found out I was dilated to 4. It was on! And the contractions were hurting too. Ella wasn’t feeling great but she still helped lighten the mood. And we didn’t bother making her get dressed that morning so people got a kick out of nightgown and leapord pants she was wearing.

Before I knew it they got me a room and an epidural was on the way. Yes! This was already going much quicker than Ella’s delivery. When the epidural came I was nervous. And it did seem to hurt more than with Ella for some reason. Maybe because with Ella I had been in labor so much longer and didn’t even care by that point. This time I was still hurting though and they did their work between my contractions. When the first shot of numbing medicine shot through my back I burst into tears again. But soon the pain was gone. Hallelujah.

My family arrived soon and it was fun to visit, but it’s so surreal too to actually be talking with people while you’re going through such an intense thing. But I wouldn’t have it any other way. I’d hate to not have the distraction.

Soon they checked me and found that I was between 6-7 cm dilated. This was going quickly. They didn’t even have to give me any pitocin. The next few hours went quickly. Visiting, then checking. Next checkup I believe I was already 9.5. Then the next checkup I was ready and the nurse called my doctor. At some point the nurse also broke my water. With Ella they found meconium (stool) in my amniotic fluid and this meant I had to have a crew from NICU in the room to assess her after she was born. This time though, everything was fine.

As soon as the doctor arrived (I actually was lucky enough to have my own doctor again) the nurse and she had my push. Once, and she was crowning. Again, and her whole head was out. And again and the rest of her was out. They quickly placed her on my chest and it was such a sense of happiness and relief! And again I didn’t get to do that with Ella. She was rushed over to a table to get assessed. As soon as she was out I felt so good. I even had a really normal conversation with my doctor after. She did say I tore a little and had to put a stitch in.

My family was able to come in very quickly and we all admired little Eva. Next I got on the phone and made Ella that doctor appointment. I couldn’t believe I was making these arrangements less than an hour after giving birth. My sister and mom offered to take her for me. Conveniently the pediatrician office is connected to the hospital so we were right there anyway.

Next I ordered a quesadilla and a large coke! I could hardly wait. That may sound silly after such a monumental morning, but labor seriously works up an appetite.

So, that’s our story. And Eva is amazingly beautiful.

I keep some friends updated with texts during labor.

Aunt Sara arrives quickly to help with Ella. At one point she calls me a “reproductive miracle” because my labor went so quickly without any pitocin.

A journalist at heart, Steve even gets a picture of me being prepped for an epidural.

The best moment. Eva was born at 2:22, weighing 7 pounds and 5 ounces and 19.5 inches long.

Family comes in to see Eva. Aunt Emily made it just in time for the birth and was able to spend the whole week due to the holiday. Good timing!

Did I mention how good a coke tastes after you have a baby?

Ella is loved. Her grandma, Aunt Emily, Aunt Sara and soon daddy join her for a doctor appointment soon after her baby sister was born.

3 Responses to “Hello Eva Amelia”

  1. Grace on January 1, 2010 10:46 pm

    Congratulations from Chile!! Everyone looks so beautiful. I am so happy for you!!!!!!!! Take care and enjoy!!!! Hugs! Grace

  2. Kara St. Myer on January 3, 2010 1:28 am

    Congratulations again! I’m so happy for you guys :) So, Ella is OK?

  3. Dawn Minty on January 3, 2010 8:22 pm

    That’s a wonderful birth story! Eva is adorable, as is Ella, of course, and I can’t believe how good you look in the hospital room. I love that you were craving a quesadilla and Coke after labor. I hope you thoroughly enjoyed them. I hope everything is going well!

Comments are closed.

    About Us

    Me. Blogger. Formerly lived carefree life of eating out, staying out late, traveling and whatever else I wanted. Now mostly chase around two kids, cook, clean and work as graphic artist.

    Wonderful web guru husband who prepared this site for me. He's even trying to help to do dishes more around the house. Good man. I met him at a party in college in 1998 and he still hasn’t gone home.

    Unbelievably cute daughter who's been running the show at our house since March of 2007.

    Our newest, precious girl who just joined us in December of 2009.