Busy busy

March 30th, 2008

Finally. A weekend with no plans. With my dad’s 60th birthday party, Ella’s 1st birthday party and my monthly Saturday night shifts, we’ve had some busy weekends lately. Despite the “free” weekend I had in mind though, it’s turned out to be pretty busy.

There was the usual on our plate- playtime with Ella, grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning and laundry. Throw in a lunch with my sister and mom, a stop at our city’s home and garden show, Babies R Us, Pier 1 and Borders and I worked a 6:30 p.m. to 12:3 a.m. Saturday night shift.

Friday night I even went out for drinks. Now those of you who knew me in college, in California, OK, in highschool too, this sentence doesn’t sound out of the ordinary. But I’ve only made it out for drinks maybe twice since Ella’s been born. More than a year ago. My husband and I have had movie/dinner dates, but to actually go to a bar and have drinks, I just haven’t.

Anyway, my sister and I met my sister-in-law, brother and some other friends at a local bar/restaurant. I drank two beers, ate. It was nice. Although it was kinda loud. And by 10 I was dreaming of my bed. Luckily my sister is admittingly lame like me, so we left. I was so happy. Do I sound old or what? I don’t care. I like sleep.

I could go out more if I wanted. My husband could watch Ella or I’m sure my mom would jump at the chance. Ella even goes to bed about 7:3o. I wouldn’t even miss out on time with her. I just don’t WANT to go out. Sleep is too valuable. I don’t want to be a grumpy old hag in the morning either. I love my mornings with Ella. She eats her breakfast while I get the kitchen straightened up and make myself some coffee. Then the next hour or so we just play, maybe turn on cartoons. I don’t know why I love this time, maybe because I’m a super dork and I’m planning out my whole day. And just as I get ready to be productive Ella’s ready for her morning nap. It works out perfectly.

So, Saturday has passed and I still needed to: A. go grocery shopping and B. return some items at Kohl’s I bought about a month ago and haven’t had a chance to return. A whole month. Crazy that it takes me a month to have the chance to get back there. Pre-kid I would have gone back the next weekend. Now though if I have one errand to run, that’s enough for the day. Between meals, naps and putting us both through getting in and out of the car, no thanks to multiple errands.

Anway, I decided what I needed to do was go by myself. I’d leave after I put Ella down for her nap and when she wakes up Daddy can play with her for a while. I don’t do this a lot. First of all, I like having Ella with me. Secondly, it kinda feels like I’m cheating for some reason. I always think of those single moms or moms who have husbands who aren’t home much and I think ‘if they can do it, I can do it.’ But again … multiple errands with a toddler – eew.

So off I went. I fill up my car with gas. Returned some items at Kohl’s and even tried on some more. I realized I also had an item to return to Old Navy. I may have a obsession with returning things, but that’s another story. Next I went to the grocery store. I whizzed threw the aisles. Getting in and out of the car seemed so easy. There was no dispersing of cheerios throughout the visit. No getting her out of her cart and having to push the cart while holding a 20-pound baby. Nice and easy.

Ahhh… so now it’s Sunday afternoon. All that’s done and I still have some of my “free” weekend left! Of course there’s still the laundry and I need an oil change. I guess there’s always next weekend.

One Response to “Busy busy”

  1. Emily on March 30, 2008 11:03 pm

    Love your blog! Keep writing…..I love feeling like I’m there for your daily life….miss you….see you in two weeks!

Comments are closed.

    About Us

    Me. Blogger. Formerly lived carefree life of eating out, staying out late, traveling and whatever else I wanted. Now mostly chase around two kids, cook, clean and work as graphic artist.

    Wonderful web guru husband who prepared this site for me. He's even trying to help to do dishes more around the house. Good man. I met him at a party in college in 1998 and he still hasn’t gone home.

    Unbelievably cute daughter who's been running the show at our house since March of 2007.

    Our newest, precious girl who just joined us in December of 2009.